Friday, May 18, 2012

Day One Hundred Seventy: Morning Pages in the Afternoon at Yip Hongs

Yip Hongs Restaurant in Saskatoon drinking Hong Kong Milk Tea. How fun is that? Waiting on shrimp dumplings to make it to the table. So that is fun. I'm trying to phone Andrea to bug her using Michael's phone, but I can't figure out how to use it. Now I have a three and a half hour drive home, but I wanted to first stop and see if I could find some shrimp dumplings, but now I wonder if they've forgotten about me because I've been here for quite some time. This is obviously an Asian local favourite -- yay -- cause Rachel brought us here. I need to relax. I'm finding it hard to just sit here and relax. Must write something to keep me busy and moving forward. I almost don't want to do morning pages any more because it feels like they will just bring too much opportunity -- last year I said I want to be a writer in residence and here I am editing Windscript and doing Sage Hill. I should try on some of the assignments with the kids and make our own little newsletter, piece of literature. I think that would honour the spirit of our classroom this year. Yes a newsletter style publication with at least one thing from each student to go through the process. Mmmm. The shrimp is here, the shrimp dumplings, but it is NOT my Hong Kong food or else I am really a big suck, but no, not as good. Okay. I want to go back to Hong Kong. So many places I want to be at once. I want to hike all over with Norris. It is already 3:10, so I'll get out of here around 3:30 and then I'll head for the hills or the valleys as my life is made up. I need to get my finances figured out. I need to get my teeth looked at. I need to get Western off my back. God, I don't know what to ask for on the Western front. Thank you for the three day weekend. What can I sing at Karaoke tomorrow night? Need to go to Michelle's birthday party, too. Elegant and creative, you are timid and prefer anonymity. You are most compatible with Boars and Rabbits, but never an Ox. I miss morning pages. Maybe we can start this again and it doesn't all have to be invention, it can also be deepening and stabilizing and less worry because I'm taking care of the little things. Today is Day 170 of my treaty walks and I drove to Saskatoon. I did make some passionate speeches to support teachers as they question, act and reflect toward life-changing education. And I did make a passionate speech that education can interrupt cycles of poverty and poor health and racism and that elders are saying Education is our buffalo and Terry brought up Martin Brokenleg's Circle of Courage and I'm just wondering how I might use this reminder with my students and my colleagues as well as Brene Brown's "Don't shrink. Don't puff up. Stand your sacred ground." And how we should work together to make a research proposal for next fall and find something to get behind and start moving in a direction together. And what should I do on day 200 of Treaty Walks?

No comments:

Post a Comment