Friday, December 28, 2012

Shout out to Chief Spence at Ski Hill in Fort Qu'Appelle

My buddy, Jack, arranged for his buddies, the Vollman brothers, to play at the ski hill over the holidays. He'd asked if I would cover during their break.

After enjoying the awesome vocals of the boys' first set, it's my turn.

I sing Denver's "Country Roads", Dylan's, "It Ain't Me Babe", Prine's "Angel from Montgomery", Spektor's "The Call". The lounge is louder than my usually coffee house quiet; maybe should have picked some boisterous songs, like my Irish sing-alongs, "What Do You Do with a Drunken Sailor". (Darryn Brooks and Curtis Russel still haven't recovered from my debut at Bounty Fishn' Chips two summers ago.)

"This next song is going out to Chief Theresa Spence out in Ottawa while she's on her hunger strike," I say into the microphone, and then sing another Dylan. "How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man." It's the least I can do today, three days after enjoying my Christmas Dinner while Chief Spence went without.

 
Dan and Luke Vollman
 
 
Heading out, wearing my new necklace from Naomi
and my favourite Keitha earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment